a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
The Alliance Française de La Nouvelle-Orléans (AFNO) is a non-profit membership organization*, and enrollment in AFNO classes is a right reserved for its members. The membership is valid for 1 year, and offers: eligibility to register for classes, borrowing privileges for the DVD/Book Library, access to Culturethèque (e-Library), free admission to Ciné-Club and Book Club, discounts on AFNO cultural events, and discounts at participating retailers and restaurants. Membership fees are not refundable once a class has started.
Registrations are accepted in the order received until the class is full. If a class does not meet the minimum enrollment of 5 students, the class will either have a shortened duration (all materials will be covered), or the class will need to be canceled.
Tuition and fees must be paid in full at registration. Checks, Visa, MasterCard, or Cash. $25 fee for bounced checks. If student’s employer pays course fees, we require an authorization letter from the employer. If an employer fails to pay, the student must pay the tuition.
Withdrawals & Tuition Refunds/Credits:
The Alliance is a nonprofit organization that hires top-caliber teachers and which establishes class schedules based on enrollments at the start of a session. Therefore our withdrawal and tuition refund/credit policy is restricted as described below.
- 1. Notification: Class withdrawals must be made in writing (email) to the Alliance office, and should specify the submitter’s request for a refund (terms below), a course credit, or agreement to offer up potential refunds as a tax-deductible donation to AFNO,
- 2. Refunds / Credits: Depending on the time of withdrawal, tuition may be refunded or credited for use toward a future class (valid for 1 year).
- For all classes: any cancellations made at least 5 DAYS prior to the first class being held are refunded or credited in full. After that, but before the first class, 100% credit or 70% refund.
- For Regular/Accelerated classes: If a student cancels after the first class but prior to the second: we offer either a 90% credit or a 70% refund. After the second class but prior to the third: 80% credit or a 50% refund. After the third class, no refunds, but a 50% credit for withdrawals made prior to the mid-term of the session only. *After the mid-term of the session, no refunds or credits.
- For Thematic/Pas a Pas/Conversation: If a student cancels after the first class but prior to the second class, we offer 80% credit or 60% refund. After the second class: 60% credit or a 40% refund. After the third class, no refunds or credits will be issued.
- For Workshops: Full refunds or credits will only be issued for cancellations 1 week prior to the workshop.
- For 2-Week Fast Track: If a student cancels after the first class but prior to the second: 80% credit or 30% refund. After the second class but prior to the third: 70% credit. *After the third class: no refunds or credit
The student may make up the class by attending an alternate class, after informing the AFNO Office, who will determine which class is suitable and arrange with the teacher. **For those students who give notice of a missed class at the time of registration, and when there is no alternate class, one hour of complimentary private instruction will be provided, and arranged via the office staff. This hour will make up for up to 3 hours of missed class time (equals one accelerated or two regular classes). Beyond that, the private rate of $45 an hour will be charged and paid before instruction. Tuition credits or refunds will not be granted for missed classes, and the AFNO is not able to offer other alternatives. Of course, students may arrange private paid classes with their teacher. Students are encouraged to contact their teachers via email to obtain missed work or assignments.
A minimum of 6 hours of lessons must be purchased at a time. Once purchased, private lessons must be used within a one-year period. For a cancellation or a change of appointment, notice must be received at least 24 hours in advance, or payment will be applied.
IMPORTANT PRIVATE LESSON POLICY DETAILS:
Please bear in mind that we do require 24 hours’ notice of cancellation, or payment will be applied, as teachers tailor their schedules around their private lessons. Please email the office (or call if you do not receive a reply) (firstname.lastname@example.org) to cancel. If you cancel a Saturday lesson on Saturday, you will need to CALL the office: 504.568.0770.
If you are running late, give us a call to confirm teacher will be able to keep the appointment. We often book privates to run close to other lessons, and if this happens, the teacher may not be able keep the appointment. Our teachers tailor their schedules around confirmed times, and do not get paid for waiting time, so promptness is appreciated.
We ask that you cancel or change lessons no more than once in a 6-hour bundle. Teachers build schedules around, and prep for your class. It is rare, but we may cancel a private lesson contract if cancellations/switches are too numerous.
When your original ‘bundle’ is ending, you must let the office know, and pre-pay for the next bundle, before we can confirm continuation of your private lessons. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you are finished, and may book a new student in your slot. Private lessons are often in great demand, so please keep us in the loop to continue!
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns; we’re always happy to help.
Transfers: All transfers from one course to another or to private lessons must be done within the first two weeks of the session and be approved by AFNO. Any additional tuition or fees resulting from a course transfer are payable at the time the change is made.
Format Transfers: A student may transfer from Group classes to Private tutoring, or vice versa. As Private tutoring is charged at a higher rate, students switching from Group classes into Private tutoring must pay the difference in rate per hour (i.e. it is not an hour-for-hour match). For students switching from Private to Group classes, they may apply any pre-paid lessons toward the group rate.
Course Cancellations & Changes:
AFNO reserves the right to cancel courses, adjust curriculum or change teachers at any time during the session.
Typically, course cancellation is due to insufficient enrollment. If a class does not meet the minimum enrollment of 5 students, the class will either have a shortened duration (all materials will be covered), or the class will need to be canceled. If you are registered in a course that is cancelled, we will notify you, and give you the option to transfer to another course or to be credited or refunded.
Very rarely, we may find it necessary to substitute an equally-qualified teacher for another. Refunds are not allowed due to such adjustments. If, however, a suitable substitute isn’t available, students will be refunded the value of remaining classes or a credit toward a future class.
Card is non-transferable and non-refundable and must be presented at the time of class to be accepted. Card is valid one year from the first available class after purchase date. Cards are treated as cash. Lost or stolen cards will not be replaced. All punch card holders must have valid AFNO membership to use. Cards are only valid for use with conversation classes.
Placement tests are required for all prospective students who have any background with French including, but not limited to:
- Previous instruction at an institution other than an Alliance Française
- Previous instruction at any other Alliance Française
- Previous instruction with the Alliance Française de La Nouvelle-Orléans if it has been more than a year since the student’s last class
BY REGISTERING FOR A CLASS OR PRIVATE LESSON, STUDENTS ACCEPT THE ABOVE POLICIES.